Saturday, January 21, 2012

FNSI–Candlewicking

Last night was the first time I had participated in FSNI.  I have often thought about it, but always manage to forget on the night until too late. 
FNSIButton
It definitely had to be hand stitching in front of the tv last night, while the tennis was on.  It made for some stop start progress, because it was such a great match, and I didnt want to miss the action. 
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
I have been working on candlewicking blocks for a couple of years.  Our LPS,  ‘Sew This and That’ have a handwork class once a month, and some of us have been working on our candlewick quilts at that class as well as at home.  I am using a damask fabric in a very light apricot/cream colour, and using a variety of light and dark cream and light apricot  coloured threads, some of it  variegated. I am using  some crocheting cotton, some pearl 8 , and some that I am not sure of the brand  but the colour is right.
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA         OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA         OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
Some of the blocks that are completed. Not good photos – I will take better ones when the blocks are completed.  The photo in the top left is the closest to the colour of the fabric.
I found a couple of new trims  yesterday while going on a bit of a shop hop to show a new friend where to go for dressmaking fabrics.  One of the stores we went to has a lot of dance costume supplies and the trims were amazing. I think I will be going back there in the future. 
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA         .
Our youngest two Grandies, Sammy and Harry have spent a couple of days hanging out together. They dont see each other very often, and they enjoyed each other’s company.
sam & Harry

6 comments:

Susan said...

Your candlewicking blocks look lovely - how many do you plan on doing?? They will look lovely on a bed.

Scottish Nanna said...

OH your candlewicking blocks are Beautiful I just love them I havent done any for years But looking at yours has made me think I should do some.I love your Grandies they are so cute.have A great week.
Hugs Mary.xx

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Your candle wicking is just so beautiful....how good was the tennis...waiting now for Leyton to play...

Noela said...

Marilyn
Your candle wicking blocks are just beautiful. Look forward to seeing them when they are put together. The blocks are a lot of work but well worth the effort in the end. Your grandsons look very cute.

Stitching Lady said...

Your candle wicking blocks are so beautiful. Could you explain to me what it is about candle wicking. Is it stuffing from behind? It could be couching, ?

Fiona said...

the candlewicking is beautiful.... love your fabrics...
Hugz