Sunday, January 15, 2012

FMQ and Sammy’s birthday

I decided to join in the Free Motion Quilting challenge at  SewCalGal.  I am ok with ditch quilting and stippling, but am often short of ideas for doing motif type quilting, or different patterns.  After watching the demonstration on Utube, by Frances Moore, this month’s design of a heart shaped leaf stitched out well and was enjoyable to do.

My practice piece worked out well enough (though the photos are not so good – I used a fabric that is too patterned to show the stitching clearly in a photo).

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA         OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

fabric                                                                              backing

But I was happy enough to then use the leaf design on this UFO quilt that I had pulled out to work on. 

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA         OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I will be waiting to see what next month’s design is. 

Today was one of those special days,  We celebrated Grandie Sammy’s 3rd birthday, and 5 of our 6 Grandies were there.  It is not often that so many of them can be in the same place at the same time.

 

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Sammy enjoyed his day playing with his older cousins.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA         OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

 

7 comments:

Miri said...

I love how the leaves look on your quilt.
Happy Birthday Sammy!

Unknown said...

Love your Quilting..I could do with some Lessons..Keep it Up.
cheers

Fiona said...

your fmq looks great... and it is so nice to see allyour grandies having fun...
Hugz

Allie said...

Your quilting looks wonderful! Happy Birthday to Sammy - what a doll!

Noela said...

Great leaves in your quilt. I too am doing the challenge. Just waiting for a new foot for my machine. Practising on paper at the moment.

tizart said...

Lovely work!!!
Liz from New Zealand

Dianne said...

You did a really good job on the fmq Marilyn. I still can't get the hang of it :-) Sammy is just too, too cute.