Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Experiments with colouring and shading


While doing the stitching on my watercolour pencil shaded embroidery (previous post) I got to thinking of the other mediums/methods I have used for shading or colouring fabrics.


 The one above uses inktense pencils and water soluble pastels  to colour the leaves and flowers.  It is heavily coloured.  I have used fabric medium to seal it, some of it full strength, but then I started to mix it with equal amounts of water, as the fabric medium tended to make the fabric quite hard and sticky.
 The girls have been coloured using folk art paints, watered down with half water and half fabric medium.  I love the colours and the soft effect of this.
 The rose on this postcard is shaded with water colour pencils and diluted fabric medium. I have used stem stitch to outline it.  The pencil has been applied much darker than the piece I am working on now.
For this "Hugs and Kisses" design I have  coloured the dress and shoes using inktense pencils, but keeping a much lighter/softer effect than on the flowers above, and using fabric medium with water to seal it.

I have found them all to be interesting to do, and for the most part have been pleased with the result.

12 comments:

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

My goodness...they are all totally amazing....you are so cleaver...

Jeanette said...

All a very lovely Marilyn. Hugs,xx

Anonymous said...

such amazing work Marilyn well done.xx

Susan said...

I think you can do so much with pencils etc... I did a fuchsia like that - the only problem I had was that I ironed pellon to the back - before I coloured it - I ended up with dotty flowers...as I say "you can learn something from every project you make" I love the Hugs & Kisses one...

Fiona said...

it's lovely to see all the different effects...
Hugz

Anthea said...

It's a wonderful aspect of your crafting Marilyn, to be able to use the pencils for the added dimension to projects... very clever of you!

debbie said...

Love the soft colours in the Sunbonnet Sue girls, they are so very sweet. xx debbie

Anita : Shabby Quilt said...

Lovely projects. they look great with a little colour.

Pinnylea Creations said...

These are gorgeous - what a difference a bit of colour makes xx

Chrissie said...

You must have had such fun experimenting. I love all of them, adding colour like this really lifts the stitchery. My favourite is the first one. Have a great weekend xcx

Chrissie said...

You must have had such fun experimenting. I love all of them, adding colour like this really lifts the stitchery. My favourite is the first one. Have a great weekend xcx

retdairyqueen said...

Lovely