Thursday, October 18, 2012

The Top End–of Scotland

(our travels of 17th October 2012)

I knew there was one more picture I wanted to include in my last post of times past.  So I must go back and edit it.

PA150238

We spent an amazing day today at the top end of Scotland.  We went to Duncansby lighthouse and walked for some time around the headland, to see the amazing cliffs and formations, the Stacks of Duncansby, caused by the rough seas over time.

PA170333

PA170336

We also visited Dunnet Head, which is the most northern point of the British Mainland.

PA180367

And yes, it was rather cold by that time.  The day started off with watery sunshine, but while on our walk we watched the squalls coming across the sea towards the mainland  By mid afternoon it was cold with a chilly wind blowing.

PA180369PA170360

This morning we also stopped at a historic Scottish church, and in the graveyard found headstones for some Nicolsons (my maiden name).  Have to wonder if somewhere back a couple of centuries or even longer, we have a common ancestor.

PA170324

Tonight we are staying in Thurso, in a delightful B & B which was built in 1780, and we are in the room where it is reported that the founder of the Boys Brigade (forget his name but he is a Smith) was born.

PA180378

Love the cushions in the room.  Beautiful felt flowers.

PA180379

Sadly, tomorrow we head south again and will leave beautiful Scotland behind. But then again, back in England in the next couple of weeks, I will be catching up with two of my quilting buddies who I have “met” through an internet quilting forum.  That will be wonderful.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I love the look of this grass we saw when walking today.  It was a really golden colour.

4 comments:

Lyn said...

I could see that last photo as a piece of fabric, a great photo..lovely shots of your travels..enjoy meeting up with your quilting buddies

Chrissie said...

Sounds like you are having a great time. Enjoy, I thought the photo of the grass was actually fabric or balls of wool!

Michelle Ridgway said...

I am loving following along behind you on your trip...I love rugged coastlines.you do look a wee bit chilly.

Teresa said...

Oh Marilyn your photos are just amazing and beautiful. I'm so glad to see you having so much fun and enjoying every minute of your holiday. Keep having fun xx