I have struggled with the idea of doing the June quilting challenge at SewCalGal. I guess that is because I dont particularly like heavy quilting, and the stiffness it brings to a quilt. So after thinking for most of the month, and checking out what other people had done through the links, I finally realised there was something I could attempt.
I used my quilting design from April, where we used tulle to trace our design. I had done a flower, and worked my “design and conquer” patterns around the petals of the flower. The designs are ok, but the work is terrible as the tension went crazy. I tried using a bobbin washer for the first time, and I think my machine may not like them, as the bobbin seemed to make a slipping noise. I think I will dispose of the washers and stick with what I know works best.
I can see this would be good for art quilts. I guess I need to practice it lots more and it would be ok.
I was remiss in saying that the June tutorial was by Cindy Needham. Cindy is a very talented quilter and has shared lots of valuable information with us. Looking back at my piece, and reading through her tutorial notes, I have learnt far more than I had thought. For a practice piece, I am happy with my attempt.