Friday, June 29, 2012

June quilting challenge

I have struggled with the idea of doing the June quilting challenge at SewCalGal.  I guess that is because I dont particularly like heavy quilting, and the stiffness it brings to a quilt.  So after thinking for most of the month, and checking out what other people had done through the links, I finally realised there was something I could attempt. 
I used my quilting design from April, where we used tulle to trace our design.  I had done a flower, and worked my “design and conquer” patterns around the petals of the flower.  The designs are ok, but the work is terrible as the tension went crazy.  I tried using a bobbin washer for the first time, and I think my machine may not like them, as the bobbin seemed to make a slipping noise.  I think I will dispose of the washers and stick with what I know works best.
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I can see this would be good for art quilts.  I guess I need to practice it lots more and it would be ok.

I was remiss in saying that the June tutorial was by Cindy Needham. Cindy is a very talented quilter and has shared lots of valuable information with us.  Looking back at my piece, and reading through her tutorial notes,  I have learnt far more than I had thought.  For a practice piece, I am happy with my attempt. 

7 comments:

Kathy said...

Looks impressive to me :) mind you I am a bit frightened of free motion quilting. I quite like the variety of stitching patterns around the flower. Well done!

Carolyn said...

Keep up the good work Marilyn. I also wasn't keen on the tight fmqing, but it definitely has it's place on wall hangings and art work.

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Looks so good to me as well....

Noela said...

Looks good to me Marilyn. Don't be so hard on yourself. I like the design very much. Hugs....

Fiona said...

love all the different shapes there... great thread doodling...
Hugz

Scottish Nanna said...

I love it you are doing so well. It looks so pretty.
Hugs Mary.xx

Susan said...

I thibk its very effective - as you say maybe not on all quilts but it has its place in some. I think you have done a great job.